Problem Gambling has a solution…YOU!
Gambling may be just a game – but for some it’s much more. It’s an addiction. Because there are no physical signs of a problem it is often referred to as the “hidden addiction.” Problem gambling habits can lead to financial difficulties, substance abuse, depression, and anxiety. One in five compulsive gamblers has even attempted suicide.
March is Problem Gambling Awareness Month: Have the Conversation
2017 YOU(th) Decide Problem Gambling Awareness/Media Literacy Outreach Project
YOU(th) Decide Vision – project designed to be a multi-dimensional prevention effort, which is aimed at reducing underage gambling in NYS.
YOU(th) Decide Mission – project aims to empower youth to make educated decisions regarding their gambling behaviors, and prepare communities to work together to prevent underage gambling.
YOU(th) Decide goals include:
- Increase awareness of the issue of underage gambling and the importance of decreasing youth access to gambling,
- Increase awareness of key media literacy facts,
- Encourage a conversation between youth and their parents and peers around the issues of problem gambling,
- Increase parental action toward the issue with parent pledges.
Youth be informed, so you can decide! Then have the conversation!
- Frequently Asked Questions for Youth and Parents
- Underage Gambling Fact Sheet
- Capacity Building Handout – Have the Conversation!
- Parent Pledge
Parent/Adult Community Presentations
Presentations are available upon request to parent and community groups to increase awareness to the potential risks of problem gambling with special emphasis on the risks associated with underage problem gambling by contacting Jennifer Faringer, NCADD-RA Director, at (585) 719-3480 or email@example.com.
Parent Tool Kits
- NEW: NYS OASAS/NYSED Problem Gambling Tool Kit for School Districts and Parents: https://www.oasas.ny.gov/gambling/SchoolDistrictResources.cfm
- Problem Gambling Parent Education Press Release (PDF)
- Recognize the Signs of Problem Gambling (PDF)
- Problem Gambling and Your Kids Talking Points (PDF)
- Problem Gambling Family Activity Sheet (PDF)
- OASAS Parent Talk Brochure (PDF)
- NYCPG’s Go Away Monster Brochure and Video
Recognizing the signs of problem gambling is the first step toward helping someone you care about or getting help yourself.
- March Madness: It’s Time To Have The Conversation (Infographic)
- New York Council on Problem Gambling: Gambling in America: Did You Know? (Infographic)
- Recognize the Signs of Underage Gambling (Infographic)
- Youth and Problem Gambling in New York State (Infographic)
- New York Council on Problem Gambling: Youth Gambling (Infographic)