Prescription Drug Abuse
While overall drug abuse has decreased, prescription drug abuse is on the rise.
Medications left over from a prior surgery or pills on a nightstand or inside a purse are common in many households. Teens are abusing prescription drugs found at home.
To learn where to safely dispose of your unwanted, unused or expired medications go to the Monroe County Web site: www.monroecounty.gov/hhw.
Fact Sheet (English)
- Fact Sheet (English) (PDF)
Fact Sheet (Spanish)
- Fact Sheet (Spanish) (PDF)
- Democrat & Chronicle Ad (PDF)
- Democrat & Chronicle Ad – Spanish (PDF)
- Bulletin Ad (PDF)
- Billboard Ad (JPG)
Safe Take-Back Day Toolkit
Heroin/Prescription Pain Medication Addiction Resources
- Monroe County Opioid Task Force Brochure (PDF)
- Monroe County Opioid Task Force Brochure – Spanish (PDF)
- NYS OASAS “Treatment Availability Dashboard”
- Monroe County Treatment Providers (PDF)
- Buprenorphine (Suboxone) Treatment Physician Locator
- NYS OASAS Navigating the Substance Use Disorder System of Care Series (a series of concise four-minute YouTube videos)
- NYS OASAS/DOH Combat Heroin
- NYS State Attorney General Health Care Hotline: 1-800-428-9071
- Know Your Rights: Parity for Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Benefits – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Health Insurance for Addiction and Mental Health Care: A Guide to the Federal Parity Law – The Legal Action Center
- New York State HOPEline and other services: 1-877-8-HOPENY or click here
- Recovery Support Navigators (SBH/Liberty) – Hotline numbers are: 855-778-1200 (24/7) and 855-778-1300 (support number)
- Recovery Resources in Monroe County (PDF)
- Heroin Anonymous Meeting List (PDF)
- NYS OASAS Kitchen Table Tool Kit
Chasing the Dragon: The Life of an Opiate Addict
An opioid and prescription drug abuse epidemic is sweeping the country, impacting all segments of society. To help raise awareness of this epidemic and to help educate young people on the dangers of addiction, the FBI and DEA have released the documentary Chasing the Dragon: The Life of an Opiate Addict, a compilation of heart-wrenching first-person accounts by addicts and family members of addicts about their experiences.”
You will want to take the time to both view and widely share this 49-minute impactful video!
It can be downloaded free at the following website: